Latest News : Prime Minister: Syrian state success in the fight against terrorism was because of building strong institutions Updated-Al-Jaafari: Damascus International Fair a message that Syria has recovered and life returned to normal Army regains 9 villages and towns in eastern countryside of Homs, kills more terrorists in Deir Ezzor Cabinet allocates nearly SYP 20 billion for reconstruction and re-productionSyria, Iran discuss enhancing economic relationsSupply of heavy machinery and reconstruction equipment discussed with Russian and Chinese sidesPresident al-Assad: Everything related to the destiny and future of Syria is a 100% Syrian issue, unity of Syrian territory is self-evident and not up for debateTwo persons injured in terrorist attacks in Homs and QuneitraAl-Moallem calls on diplomats to intensify efforts to shoulder national responsibilitiesPrime Minister calls on Ambassadors to put “promotional vision for Syrian exports”Army establishes control over strategic hill in Hama, kills 15 terrorists in Deir Ezzor US-led coalition kills 78 civilians in RaqqaTerrorist groups target Qinet al-Assi village in Homs with rocket shellsKazakh Foreign Minister: 6th Astana meeting on Syria delayed for mid-SeptemberRussia, Egypt work to help formation of collective Syrian opposition delegation, Says Lavrov
The Guardian: Questions mount over botched Yemen raid approved by Trump
2017-02-03 22:37:05

The US military has launched an investigation into the scale of civilian casualties in a botched special forces raid against a suspected al-Qaida base in Yemen, the first such mission to be approved by Donald Trump, as questions mount over the operation.

After initially denying there had been any civilian casualties in Sunday’s raid, US Central Command (Centcom), which is responsible for military operations in the Middle East and central Asia, acknowledged some of the dead may have included women and children, though claimed some of the women were armed.

A statement said its assessment “seeks to determine if there were any still-undetected civilian casualties in the ferocious firefight.”

The Pentagon has said a US Navy Seal, chief petty officer William Owens, and 14 militants were killed in the raid in al Bayda province, which was launched to gather intelligence on suspected operations by al-Qaida in the Arabian peninsula (AQAP). Medics at the scene said about 30 people, including 10 women and children, were killed. Three US special forces were wounded.

The mission was approved over dinner five days after the presidential inauguration by Trump and his closest advisers, including his son-in-law Jared Kushner and his special adviser and former Breitbart executive Stephen Bannon, as well as defence secretary General Jim Mattis.

Both the New York Times and Reuters carried quotes from unnamed military officials that seemed to shift blame for the mission to Trump and his inner team. It would be an extraordinary development for a president, who is commander-in-chief, to be briefed against in such detail.

The briefings suggested that one thing after another went wrong from the start of the mission, with the Yemen villagers seemingly alerted to the impending raid by drones flying lower than usual.

The special forces, apparently lacking full intelligence, were confronted by heavily-fortified positions, including landmines, and faced heavy gunfire from buildings all around during the 50-minute firefight. One of the US planes sent in to help had to be left behind and was deliberately destroyed.

US military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

Trump’s spokesman Sean Spicer said that the White House considered the raid a “successful operation,” although he said it was difficult to call it a success because of Owens’ death.


 

Mr. President

Damascus International Fair 59

Home Mr. President News Business From the Media Videos اللغة العربية